Monday 21 March 2016

Today I have to prove I'm disabled

Today's the day
Of my PiP assessment
The day they decide
If I'm worthy of payment
For being disabled
And in order to do that
They're going to question me
About what I am able
To do
And their trying
To catch me out
Because they assume
Without a doubt
That I'm faking
For money
What little they know
Why would I fake
When it's so degrading
Why would I fake
And reduce my living
Can't they see
From the doctor letters
And occu therapists
That I'm blind
Yes blind
But that's not enough
For them to say
Yes
Without interrogation
I also need to prove
That pain
And exhaustion
Lack of balance
And stumbling
Is real enough
To deserve some help
To pay for the stuff
Like taxis around
Because I can't drive
And vision aids
Stuff to survive
As a human being
But perhaps that's it
They don't really care
Not one little bit
That it hurts enough
To be incapacitated
To have life reduced
Not one I created
I'm a burden now
And one they must rate
How bad is it
How much can they hate
Us disabled people
To make this the process
So I'll go along
Though it causes me pain
Stress sky high
I'll do this again
Talk about life
In all it's embarrassment
To a stranger
It feels like harassment
And all the time
I'll pray
It's OK
Not only for me
But for everybody
Who has to go through this
Day after day
All of us lined up
Proving our worth
Or lack of!


Linked up at:

#Anythinggoes

#MarvMondays

#BrilliantBlogPosts http://honestmum.com/brilliant-blog-posts-24th-march-2016/

6 comments:

  1. A poignant poem and more. I have yet to face the PIP assessment but it annoys me what people have to do to prove they're disabled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you are going through that, its sad that a few dishonest people ruin it for the people who truly need these benefits. I also have MS but I am luck and really have no lingering issues at this time and I haven't had any episodes in 6 years. Good luck to you and hope the process goes well. Thanks for sharing. #anythinggoes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you have to go through that. It must be awful to have to feel as if you constantly have to prove your disability. I hope it gets sorted asap. Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well written and one to really make us all think, I'm cringing for you going through all that. I hope you get things sorted soon xx #MarvMondays

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from Australia and I'm sad to say that it's a similar situation here. I have two kids with special needs and I'm so worried for their future. Where is the dignity or the compassion in all of this? I wish you "well" with this assessment and I hope it provides you with the assistance that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck at the assessment. I'm dreading mine. I love the poem form.

    ReplyDelete