Friday 18 March 2016

Birthday Letter to Rachel (if a little late)

Dear Rachel
It's me
Your mum
Happy Non-Birthday

On your birthday
I couldn't write these
On your birthday
I was making memories

Told I should
Because who knew
What was going to be
I was that ill

I never told you
But now I'm better
Although I have MS
That's no big hitter

Not yet at least
And is nothing
Compared to organ shutdown
Which was where I was



And so I'm writing
To say those things
You don't like me to say
They're "embarassing"

My main theme
Is be happy
Every day
Hear what I say?

Take risks
Within reason
Visit glaciers
In the right season

Jump out of a plane
With a reputable group
Go on holiday
Eat birds nest soup

Do things
That'll make you smile
Celebrate little things
All the while

I love you
More than I can say
I want to see you
Every day

But that is me
This is about you
Do everything
That you want to do

All those things 
Now you're ten
Hanging out 
With your friends

Skipping rope
Playing ball
I'll still be here
If you fall

To wrap you up
Dust you down
Come to me
Or call me round

I'll be there
Any day
Don't question how
I'll find a way

Because my life
Is better for
All you are
And even more



What you'll be
Neither of us know
But one things for 
You'll be my girl

And I'll be proud
Even if
You're shouting loud
Or slamming fists

Or slamming doors
Or ignoring me
I'll be there
I won't flee

I'm your mum
And no matter what
I'm here for you
That won't stop

Linked up at:
#TreasuredMoments

5 comments:

  1. Wow this is utterly gorgeous heart in my throat and butterflies is my tummy as I read this thanks so much for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sentiment :) #prose4t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! <3
    Your daughter may think these kinds of things are embarrassing now, but one day she'll look back and really treasure these words. Happy Birthday, Rachel! I hope you made lots and lots of memories-the big 10!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful piece - there is a lot of emotion running through this. Your daughter will certainly treasure it when she is older. Thank you for linking to Prose for Thought x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - so much emotion! Rachel will treasure this. xx

    ReplyDelete