Thursday 3 March 2016

Cat in the Hat #WorldBookDay @booktrust #poetry #Prose4T


the year is the last
the wardrobe is bare
so this world book day
I had nothing to share

I sat down with mum
we sat there, we two
I asked for ideas
she had quite a few

but all her ideas
were wrong or too tricky
so I sat and I thought
I might have been picky

Then bump! An idea
I knew just what to do
I went to the book shelf
And pulled down a few
I found just the one
The one above all
The one full of rhyme
and humour galore

This is the book
This is the one
This is my character
This has to be done

I gathered some paper
Just red and white
I took it to mum
It gave her a fright

Really? she asked
That will be great
She might not have thought that
When working so late
On the hat oh so tall
and the bow oh so large
But I think you'll agree
without any charge
that the effort was worth it
my mum and me
we got it together
do you agree?

so today in year 6
the last dressing up
for this world book day
I am no pup
I'm a cat in the hat
Of that you can see
I might not win the prize
But it's made me happy

Oh and by the way
This poem of mine
It's inspired by Seuss
And it's mum's, not mine

(Rachel, 10)

This is one of those Treasured Moments in life.
Come and link up one of yours at the new #TreasuredMoments linky

Linked up at:

6 comments:

  1. Fab poem, completely true to style. and great outfit.
    definitely a #treasuredmoments

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fab little poem that perfectly captures the chosen book! I'll look out for your poems for the BritMums roundup. Thanks for linking to #whatImWriting x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab poem and gorgeous photo!! Your poetry really is amazing, thanks for sharing. #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic poem, i love the hat it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww lovely poem! And the costume looks good too! #wickedwednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute!! Thanks so much for linking up! Can't wait to see what you've got lined up next week on #wickedwednesdays x

    ReplyDelete