Friday 1 April 2016

Aphasia #AtoZofMS #poetry #atozchallenge


Aphasia
Aphasia is the medical term for difficulty in finding the right words or forming sentences.

There's a word
I know I know it
But can I find it?
No!

You know
For that thing
THE thing
Over there
Somewhere
You know?
No!

On the tip of my tongue
Or at the back of my mind
It's somewhere close
Yet so far away
Aphasia
You're not funny.


In multiple sclerosis
Aphasia is caused by disruptions
in the various parts of the brain
that control thought, short-term memory,
verbal fluency or attention.
The symptom in MS is usually about
recalling the correct words
when they are needed
at a particular moment
rather than permanent loss of knowledge.

Find out more about MS at
MS Trust A to Z

Donate to MS Trust

I'm also writing an
A to Z of Blessings at LLM Calling

Find other blogs posting their A to Z this April 2016 

15 comments:

  1. Great start to the challenge! This is a wonderful eye opener about MS. I love the idea of mixing poetry with info.

    Cheers - Ellen | http://thecynicalsailor.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-is-for-anchor-nancy-drew-investigates.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen. I hope I can get the balance right through all 26 days

      Delete
  2. Wow. That sounds difficult and frustrating. Good luck with the challenge. I look forward to your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. It's really annoying but luckily people hang in there with me.

      Delete
  3. beautiful poem. glad to be doing this A-Z challenge with u all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone else said love the link between info and the poetry, great idea!

    Mars xx
    @TrollbeadBlog from
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mars, and for sharing your link so I can visit you xx

      Delete
  5. I didn't knew this term before and didn't knew it can occur in MS. Thanks for the information. It is a great poem. All the best for the challenge. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't know about this term either before I got diagnosed, and it's such a relief to know what was happening was "normal" for MS.

      Delete
  6. A poem theme would be hard enough but to use it to explain MS is outstanding. Look forward to learning more as your A-Z proceeds.
    http://www.bobscotney.blogspot.co.uk/ - Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I'm lucky that my brain thinks most clearly in poetry. Off to visit your blog now

      Delete
  7. Forget words often and blame MS...rather than old age. Love the poem - so true in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great challenge and fab start. Anything that can inform others more about MS is good; I'm ashamed to admit I don't know alot at all! Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete